Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Do colleges unfairly favor African immigrants over natives?

Interesting perspective, African mom lets kids play with Asians and Indians, but not native African Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/05/AR2007030501296_2.html

Mayaki counts many black Americans as friends, but that was not always so. As a child, she was steered away from black Americans by her protective Yoruban mother, who emigrated from Nigeria in the 1980s.
"My mom wouldn't let me go next door for a sleepover with African American kids, but I could go five houses down to Asian houses. I kind of got along better with foreigners," she said. "You don't go to parties. You don't go to movies. You just study, stay at home, do your chores. My Indian and Asian friends got it. All my other friends, they never got it."

No comments: