Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Have a Surprise for You Charlie: Demons and Saints Murder of Josh Susan Powell Family

I Have a Surprise for You Charlie: Ending It With Fire

main: Demons and Saints: Murder of Susan Cox Powell's Family

Date: Feb 4, 2012 Saturday

"He had taken boxes of toys and books and donated them to the goodwill sometime over the weekend," Troyer said. "So this was definitely a deliberate, planned-out event.": 
- Josh Powell withdrew $7,000 in cash from a Pierce County bank account on Saturday, according to a search warrant served on Josh Powell's financial documents. 
Why wasn't anybody watching Josh?
Granny takes a plane ride for Christmas... she gets shaken down for trying to bring more than 4.5 oz of shampoo with her...Yet, a psycho like Josh Powell runs around withdrawing 7 grand, donating all the kids toys to charity, buying a wazoo load of gas in multiple cans... hey man, no problem! I didn't see anything? Did you see anything? He's just preparing a Superbowl party. It just does not make sense. 

Jennifer and Kirk Graves later revealed their plan to eventually care for the children. The Graves had said they were working to adopt 7-year-old Charlie and 5-year-old Braden Powell into their family and raise them as their own children, "until (Susan) can take over again," Jennifer Graves said. A significant reminder of those plans now sits in their driveway — a 15-passenger van the couple purchased to make room for their family of seven they hoped would grow by two more.

Date: Feb 5, 2012 Sunday

Event Josh Powell and his sons are killed in an explosion he set inside Powell's Washington state home.

Elizabeth Griffin-Hall picks up boys for a supervised visitation from the Cox grandparents home in her  Toyota Prius. It is the last time the Coxes see their grandchildren. They were playing with their cousins and they were told they could play again when they got back. These visits were originally held in an office, but they were disruptive and eventually took place at Josh Powell's home and nobody saw any problems with that, although the Cox's were apprehensive at first. Nobody expected today to be any different.

20 min before attack: 
Josh Powell's final words to his loved ones, the voicemail he left for his family just 20 minutes before attacking his two young boys, Braden, 5, and Charles, 7, with a hatchet and igniting a gas leak that blew up his house on Sunday afternoon. "I am not able to live without my sons, and I'm not able to go on anymore. I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt. Goodbye," the voicemail message said.

Timeline of 911 log in Josh Powell response

Highlights of the 911 log detailing the police and fire response to Josh Powell's home on Sunday:

"The visit supervisor for this particular agency had taken the children to the home. When she does that, she sits through the visit and might take notes on her observations," Hill said

 "She pulled up in the car, and the kids ran out ahead of her. He closed the door and locked it. She wasn't able to get in, and that's when she smelled gas.
Powell let the boys in the house, then blocked the social worker from entering, said Graham Fire and Rescue Chief Gary Franz.

12:05 A lawyer for Powell said he received a three-word email from his client just minutes before Powell and his two boys died in a house blaze. It said, "I'm sorry, goodbye." Attorney Jeffrey Bassett told The Associated Press the email arrived at 12:05 p.m. Sunday, but he didn't see it until two hours later, when others informed him of the fire. 

Jeff Bassett, Josh Powell's attorney, told the 911 operator about an email he received from his client.
"I understand he may have had an explosion. I may have some information," he told the operator after identifying himself.
When asked what information, he replied, "Just if it was an accident or if it was more than that. I got an email from my client and that could give every indication it was intentional. ... Basically, it says 'I'm sorry and goodbye.'"
Ed Wadagnolo, who said Powell worked for him, called 911 after seeing news of the house explosion and said he received a similar "strange email" that read, "I'm sorry. Goodbye."
Both Bassett and Wadagnolo said they received the emails at 12:05 p.m.

The social worker’s first 911 call, before the fire

The social worker’s 911 call after the fire

A neighbor’s 911 call

A neighbor’s 911 call

Alina Powell’s 911 call

Josh Powell’s boss’s 911 call

Josh Powell’s lawyer’s 911 call 

 Call from Josh Powell’s boss
Dispatcher: This is valley with a transfer
Man: Josh Powell works for me, I just saw on the news today that there was a problem. I got a strange email from him today at 12:05.
Dispatcher: What does the email say?
Man: I’m sorry, goodbye. That’s all it said
Dispatcher gets identifying information and phone number.

Griffin-Hall bangs on the door pleading to be let in. She hears Josh says "Charlie I have a surprise for you" and then hears a boy  crying in pain, similar to when he hurt his foot before. She becomes very worry and makes some phone calls. She smells gasoline which makes her really worried something is afoot. 
12:08:21 p.m. — Social worker makes initial call to 911 to alert authorities that Josh Powell has locked her out of his home while his two young sons are inside.12:13:20 — Calltaker transfers information from social worker to a dispatcher. 

Elizabeth Griffin-Hall, who had brought the boys to Powell's home for a supervised visit, called 911 after she said the man let the two boys into the house but slammed the door in her face.
"Nothing like this has ever happened before -- one of these supervised visits. I'm really shocked," she said in the 911 call, one of seven released this evening. "I can hear the kids crying but he still wouldn't let me in."
She told the 911 operator she wanted to move her car out of the driveway because she smelled gas coming from the house, and then asked for police to be sent to the home. But the 911 operator said officers only get sent to life-threatening situations.
"This could be life-threatening," she said. "He went to court on Wednesday and he didn't get his kids back. I'm afraid for their lives.

Griffin-Hall: 8119 and I think it’s 89th, I don’t know what the address is, let me get in the car nothing like this has happened like this before. I’m really shocked, and I could hear one of the kids crying, and he still won’t let me in, OK, it’s 1, just a minute I have it here, you can’t find me by GPS?
Dispatcher: No
Griffin-Hall: OK, it is... I still can’t find it. He’s on a very short leash with DHSH, he looked right at me and closed the door.
It’s 8119 189th Street Court East Puyallup.
I’d like to pull out of the driveway because I smell gasoline, and he won’t let me in.
Dispatcher: He won’t let you out of the driveway?
Griffin-Hall: He won’t let me in the house.
Dispatcher: Whose house is it?
Griffin-Hall: Josh Powell
Dispatcher: You don’t live there?
Griffin-Hall: No, I’m contracted by the state to provide supervised visitation.
[Confusion about who Griffin-Hall is ensues, then gets cleared up]
Griffin-Hall: He’s the husband of Susan Powell, this is a high-profile case. I was one step in back of them.
Dipatcher: So they went in the house and locked you out?
Griffin-Hall: Yes, he shut the door in my face.
Dispatcher: What is your name?
Griffin-Hall: My name is Elizabeth Griffin-Hall.
Dispatcher: And what’s you’re phone number?
Griffin-Hall gives number.
Dispatcher: What agency are you with?
Griffin-Hall: Foster Care Resource Network, and the kids have been in there by now approximately 10 minutes, and he knows it’s a supervised visit. Braden is 5 and Charlie is 7.
Dispatcher: And the dad’s last name?
Griffin-Hall: Powell.
Dispatcher: Two L’s at the end of Powell?
Griffin-Hall: Yes.
Dispatcher: And his first name?
Griffin-Hall: His first name is Josh. [She gives physical description of him].
Dispatcher: Is he alone, or was anyone with him?
Griffin-Hall: I don’t know, I couldn’t get in the house
Dispatcher: Are you in a vehicle now or on foot?
Griffin-Hall: I’m in a 2010 Prius with the doors locked. He won’t let me in. I rang the doorbell and everything. I begged him to let me in.
Dispatcher: Elizabeth, please listen to my questions. What color is the Toyota Prius?
Griffin-Hall: Gray, dark gray.
Dispatcher: And the licence number?
Griffin-Hall: I don’t know, I can look. (Gets out of car) 750 ZMH
Dispatcher: OK, we’ll have someone look for you there.
Griffin-Hall: Do you know how long it will be?
Dispatcher: They have to respond to emergencies , life-threatening situations first.
Griffin-Hall: This could be life-threatening. He was in court on Wednesday and he didn’t get his kids back and this is really... I’m afraid for their lives.
Dispatcher: Has he threatened the lives of the children previously?
Griffin-Hall: I have no idea
Dispatcher: OK we’ll have the first available deputy contact you.
Griffin-Hall: Thank you
Dispatcher: Bye.
The social worker called her supervisors to report that she could smell gas, and the home erupted in flames.

emails that Powell sent authorities seemed to confirm that Powell planned the deadly fire. Troyer didn't elaborate on the contents of the emails, but said they make police believe "this is intentional, this is planned."
Speaking to NBC's TODAY on Monday, Troyer characterized the incident as a "double murder-suicide."

Event: boys are attacked with hatchet 
Powell and both boys died of smoke inhalation, Pierce County Medical Examiner's Office investigator Melissa Baker said Monday evening. But they also suffered "chop injuries" that contributed to their deaths - 7-year-old Charles was struck on his neck and 5-year-old Braden had injuries to both his head and neck, Baker said. Pierce County Sheriff's Detective Ed Troyer said investigators found a hatchet that they believe was used on the boys.

12:16:02 — First calls come in to 911 from people reporting a "house just exploded." 

A female neighbor told the 911 operator that there was "a loud, huge boom. And there's crap flying all over the place, dark smoke."
"Fire. Fire. There's a house on fire. Explosion," a male neighbor said. "The house is totally engulfed in fire, from front to back." 

Call from male witness who saw house fire from the back of the home
Man: I just had a house explode.
Dispatcher: What’s your exact address?
Man: 8404 189th East Court East
Dispatcher: Hold the line
Man: There’s a house on fire and (excitedly talking, gives a couple different approximate addresses of the fire).
Dispatcher: You’ve changed the street numbers three times now.
Man: There’s explosions too.
Dispatcher: Is anyone home?
Man: I don’t know the house is totally engulfed.
Dispatcher: I’m getting help out there right now.
Man: I think it’s a possible meth house.
Dispatcher: Was anyone home?
Man: I don’t know, but if they were, they’re toast.

Elizabeth Griffin-Hall calls 911 again:

"There's two little boys in the house and they're 5 and 7, and there's an adult man, and he has supervised visits, and he blew up the house and the kids," 

Second call from social worker Elizabeth Griffin-Hall
Dispatcher: Hello. Were you calling about the fire on 189th street?
Griffin-Hall: Yes, he exploded the house. He exploded the house.
Dispatcher: Ma’am, do you know the exact address?
Griffin-Hall: It’s 8119 189th Court East in Puyallup
Dispatcher: What are you calling about?
Griffin-Hall: It exploded, the house.
Dispatcher: Do you know where you are?
Griffin-Hall: 8119 189th Street Court East in Puyallup
Dispatcher: Do you know if there’s anyone in the house?
Griffin-Hall: Yes, there was a man and two children. I just dropped off the children and he wouldn’t let me in the door.
Dispatcher: Stay on the line with me. I’m going to get the fire department. Hang on. Don’t hang up. Stay on the phone here with me ma’am. Fire this is Rose. I’m transferring the lady who has the exact address.
Griffin-Hall: I can hear the fire trucks, but they’re not here yet. It’s 8119
Dispatcher: We have an engine there.
Griffin-Hall: People are saying there is not somebody here, but there’s a couple of boys, 5 and 7, he has supervised visitation and he blew up the house and the kids.
Dispatcher: The kids and the father were in the house?
Griffin-Hall: Yes, he slammed the door in my face so I kept knocking. I thought it was a mistake, I kept knocking and then I called 911.
Dispatcher: You saw him go back in the house?
Griffin-Hall: He didn’t ever leave the house, he just opened the door, the kids were one step ahead of me, they are 5 and 7, they were one step ahead of me and he slammed the door in my face.
Dispatcher: Do you think he might have done this intentionally?
Griffin-Hall: Yes.
Dispatcher: County, go ahead with what you need.
Dispatcher: What is your name, ma’am?
Griffin-Hall: I’m Elizabeth Griffin-Hall, I’m the supervisor visitation (incoherent noises and crying)
Dispatchers: What is your last name?
Griffin-Hall calmly spells it.
Dispatcher: Where are you at right now?
Griffin-Hall: I’m at 8112 on the same court,
Dispatcher: So you are at 8112 189th Street Court East
Griffin-Hall: Yes
Dispatcher: Are you in the car?
Griffin-Hall: I was in it I’m standing outside it right now
Dispatcher: Is that your home address?
Griffin-Hall: No, I’m the supervised visitation coordinator.
Dispatcher: What is the person’s name
Griffin-Hall: His name is Josh Powell. Just a minute the sheriff is here.
Dispatcher: Go ahead and talk to the officer, ma’am
12:16:03 — Sheriff's deputies are dispatched to the home.

12:21:45 — Josh Powell's sister, Alina Powell, is on phone with dispatchers, telling them she received disturbing emails from her brother. 

Powell's distraught sister, Alina Powell, called 911 to say she was receiving "weird" messages from her brother via email and voicemail that made her too "terrified to drive over there" herself.
"I'm not afraid of him," she told the emergency operator through sobs. "He's never hurt me. I'm afraid of seeing something I don't want to see."

lawyer Steve Downing, who represented Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, in the custody fight. "The Coxes are absolutely devastated. They were always very fearful of him doing something like this, and he did it."
Downing also told the AP Sunday that the children had started talking to their grandparents about things they remembered from the night their mother vanished.
"They were beginning to verbalize more," Downing said. "The oldest boy talked about that they went camping and that Mommy was in the trunk. Mom and Dad got out of the car and Mom disappeared

Steven Powell didn't seem upset by news of deaths


When Steven Powell was informed of the deadly blast that killed his son and two grandchildren, he was put on suicide watch, according to Pierce County spokesman Detective Ed Troyer. "Steve Powell didn't seem very upset by the news, but was angry towards authorities who notified him," Troyer said. (Did he know about Josh's plans?) 

West Valley City Police Chief Thayle “Buzz” Nielsen said his department wants to interview Steve Powell about what he might know about his son’s actions.Attorney Mark Quigley, who represents Steve Powell, said law enforcement officials have not made a request to speak to his client through him.
Sheriff’s deputies on Sunday informed Steve Powell of the fatal fire and asked whether he knew what his son had been up to. He refused to cooperate and then was placed on suicide watch.

Read more here:

Cox Grandparents Find Out About Fire From Facebook

On Nancy Grace, Chuck Cox says that a friend saw it on facebook and called them. They rushed to the scene of the fire and identified themselves and asked if the boys were gone. 

Chuck said he was at church when a friend called him and said he’d read on Facebook that Charlie, 7, and Braden, 5, had died in a fire.

appearance on HLN’s Nancy Grace Show Wednesday afternoon Chuck and Judy Cox, grandparents of the two young boys who were killed by their father, Josh Powell, in Washington State Sunday in a double-murder-suicide, said they learned of the “explosion” through a friend who saw the information on Facebook.
“It was outlandish, hard to believe,” Chuck said. “I thought to myself ‘it can’t be true, it’s Facebook’.”
Moments later he learned the AP was reporting their had been a "blast" at the home Josh was renting in Graham, Washington, about 17 miles from Puyallup where the Coxes live.
Chuck said his bishop drove him to the home. “When we arrived I saw the police line and black smoke,” Chuck said. “I still didn’t want to believe my grandchildren were in that house.”
He said when he approached police he said, “I’m the children’s grandfather.” It was then that he was told it was true - his grandchildren and son-in-law had died in the fire.

Continue reading on Chuck and Judy Cox learn of grandsons' deaths through Facebook - National missing persons |

No comments: