Friday, December 16, 2011

Dirt Cheap $99 Craig Android Tablet and Netbook for Redneck Geeks at Rite Aid

There were some black Friday $100 netbooks and tablets at Toys R Us and furniture places, now the flyer I got in the mail says these are $99, normally $120. Craig was a big name in the 70s for 8-track and car stereo and portable cassette recorders. They also have $29 retro Atari game consoles. These things are so obscure there isn't even a manufacturer website, so good luck if these go bad on you. Seems like your basic computer store of last resort for redneck po-folk after Walmart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joebehr/6287495357/ 
best review yet
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123208

Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer.

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet



from
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Craig-7-quot-Android-tablet-99-at-Rite-Aid-pharmacy/m-p/1171724
Craig 7" Android tablet $99 at Rite Aid pharmacy

Just now my wife and I were at Rite Aid buying stuff like rubbing alcohol and dental floss after church, and I saw they had some touch screen tablet computers for $99.00.Android 2.2, web and email, 4GB flash memory, 256MB RAM, wifi, USB & mini-SD.
At that price and a brand I never heard of, I think some corners must have been cut...

Wordsmith
robert93
Posts: 286
Registered: 02-28-2011

Re: Craig 7" Android tablet $99 at Rite Aid pharmacy

Indeed many have, for starters, 256mb of ram, the NookColor has 512, 4gig of flash memoryi to the NookColor's 8....Android 2.1 The NookColor started there a year ago.....
Rockchip RK2818 ARM9 at 622MHz The NookColor will bury that
Average battery life 3+ hours?  Yep, NC can beat that too
USB hosting via full USB port (keyboards, USB thumbsticks, limited USB 3G support)  ok, good feature....
7" 800x480 resistive touch  THIS IS THE BIGGIE... Compare that to 1024x600 Capacitive Touch..... MUCH higher quality image, and wonderful response to the touch.  My first e-reader which went back to store was resistive touch, and low resolution.  It also clouded up over time with use, almost looked like it was fogging from the inside, until cleaning it, which lasted a very short time, a day or two at most.  The NookColor was in the case of the one I'd bought twice as bright.  You are FAR better off buying a refurbished NookColor than the Craig.

from http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/23167-craig-tablets-spotted-at-rite-aid-october-2011/


Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:28 PM
I was in Rite-Aid drug store today and saw behind the counter at the top shelf they had Craig tablets for sale for $99.99. I didn't ask to look at a box (people were behind me waiting to check out) so I don't know if it's the older ones or the newer versions. But thought I'd pass this on in case anyone wanted to grab them still.
Tablets: Craig CMP738a, ViewSonic gTablet, HeroTab C9
ByteBin - Mobile Computing and Technology
0





#2User is offline   Mewz 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
    • Group:Jr. Member
    • Topics:0
    • Posts:1
    • Joined:06-October 11
    Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:10 PM
    Hey, I'm a Rite-Aid Employee, recently bought it myself, simply to have a droid device to dev on, I can confirm the one we're selling is CMP738b, not CMP738a.
    0




    #3User is offline   TikaC 

    • Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
      • Group:Jr. Member
      • Topics:24
      • Posts:164
      • Joined:16-February 11
      Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:16 PM
      Thank you for the info. Sounds like they are now selling the one with the upgraded ROM and hopefully better hardware. I have 3 tablets now and no money so I'm not about to get another one right now. But glad they are selling them again for folks. I didn't see them at CVS yet though. Maybe they are only selling via Rite-Aid now?
      Tablets: Craig CMP738a, ViewSonic gTablet, HeroTab C9
      ByteBin - Mobile Computing and Technology
      0




      #4User is offline   sqa 

      • Member
      • PipPip
        • Group:Jr. Member
        • Topics:5
        • Posts:13
        • Joined:23-August 11
        Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:44 PM
        Can you pls tell the difference? I don't see this model on the www.craigelectronics.com.
        0




        #5User is offline   droidme 

        • Newbie
        • Pip
          • Group:Jr. Member
          • Topics:0
          • Posts:3
          • Joined:04-March 11
          Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:33 PM
          Zellers in Canada also started to sell them but I don't now is it A or B versions.
          0

          No comments: