Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Annfontanella Schindler's List (video)




Uploaded by Annfontanella on Nov 22, 2009 (her channel has 3 million views)

This is the theme from Schindler's List, the 1993 movie about the Holocaust. Erick Friedman, my violin teacher and mentor, had a magnet on his filing cabinet that read "Holocaust: Never Again". He lost several family members. The determination of that motto has stayed with me. I didn't want the mournful tone of this piece to become self-pity or maudlin, but to maintain the clarity of the statement "we will never let this happen again".

I modified the theme and bowings to create a sense of growing focused emotional intensity as the song progresses. The final quarter is one of sorrow and I modified the final note to a fading long harmonic to emphasize this sense of loss.


No comments: